Sell Art Online

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Possibility of Words

A vague memory will surface from time to time of when I was about four or five years old, and my mother was teaching me how to read. I can recall the annoyance and frustration my four-year-old self felt of being "forced" to do such tedious work as stringing the sounds of letters together to make words. Now, of course, I feel nothing but gratitude for her dodged patience and persistence, because I find that I have fallen in love with the written word. I love the possibility that exists within them. I love feeling that a blank page is like a canvas, and that the words I put on it create a painting. I love the thrill of opening a new book and not knowing where the words will take me, and the thrill of opening an old book and being able to take the journey again.


Words can create and destroy. They can soothe and rile. They can pull forth the entire range of human emotion, and paint vistas that are beautiful or ugly, and every possibility in between. Words can take the reader to far off and exotic places - whether they exist in reality or not. They can bring the past to life, or illuminate a future. Combined skillfully, words can walk the reader down the corridor of a medieval castle, or the mud strewn ruts of a peasant village. They can send you soaring into the sky on the backs of dragons and plunge you into the abyss of the ocean. Words can be beautiful, mundane, startling, bold, evasive, dangerous...everything is a possibility.

This, perhaps, is why I love writing so much. I dabbled in it as a child, creating poems and ballads, but not until I graduated from university did I begin to devote time to it in earnest, and it has quickly become a passion.

Because that is what I love - I love to create things.

To weave pictures and paint words.

3 Comments:

The JR said...

OMG, what a beautiful picture.

Maybe next year after I get my car paid for I could get you to do a picture of my show horse.....


I thought of you on Monday. I made bran muffins and it made 24 small ones and 3 big ones. My husband thinks of bran about as much as he does diet drinks. He says "ssppitt - poisen".

So I froze most of them. Hope they are just as good when I'm ready for some more.

MWebster said...

Hey Girl! Thank you :) Your bran muffins put a huge smile on my face. Did you suddenly have a bran muffin craving?

We've started going through the frozen stock. It's come in really handy for certain nights when we just don't have any time to make dinner.

I'm sorry I haven't been current, either on my blog or yours...and I'm grateful that you keep checking for updates :) I feel like I'm drowning in reading and homework and lesson plans and work and...well, you get the picture *lol* I'm hoping to get somewhat caught up today...we'll see...

Have a great week!

The JR said...

We have a huge quanitiy of fresh pears on our trees and a fellow blogger sent me her favorite 3 recipes.

I picked the bran muffins to try first.

I've never frozen any kind of baked goods before. Just know that I'm going to thaw them out completely before trying to warm them up.

And they probably won't be as good as right out of the oven, but hey - it's a whole lot better than those commercial things with stuff in it you can't pronounce.

I totally understand about being busy. Take care of what's important, blogging will be here when you have time!!!!

Keani, Tibetan Spaniel

Icewind and Keani - New Beginnings